Building Department FAQ’s


  • If a contractor/homeowner wants to put in a lawn sprinkler system, they need to fill out a plumbing permit.
  • Attached to the permit, they must have a drawing showing the number of heads and where they are located on the property.
  • The cost for a lawn sprinkler permit is ? PLUS $4.00 per head (fixture). Please add 1% OBC fee.
  • Make sure the contractor that is doing the work is registered to work in the City.
  • Once the Building Director has approved this application, then print out the permits.
  • When the contractor/homeowner picks up the permit, be sure to give him a copy of the City of Streetsboro Backflow Prevention Program Form.
  • Let him know that this form must be filled out by a licensed plumber (our plumbing inspector is able to do this inspection), and then it must be turned in to the Water Department.

You may come into the Building Dept. to pick up permit applications Mon.-Fri. 8am-4:30pm
Or from the Building Departments Document Center.

If the fence is going to be over 6 feet tall a building permit is required.
A zoning permit is required for all fences.

First, you need to submit a zoning permit application and site plan to the Zoning department.
A building permit application, an electrical permit application, and if there is a heater being installed a plumbing permit application.  Manufacturers information, and how the pool will be secured is required along with the applications.  If the pool is 4ft. or higher, removable steps are required.  If the pool is less than 4 ft. a fence and a self locking gate are required to secure the entire pool area. The fence must be 4 ft. or higher.

First, you need to submit a zoning permit application and site plan to the Zoning department.
The Building department needs 2 detailed drawings of the proposed deck including the dimensions, height from the ground and depth of the post-holes.

All inspections should be called in to our office 24 hours in advance. We will not schedule or fulfill same day inspections requests. There are some times during the year it may take 48 hours to get an inspection. Per the OBC, we have up to 96 business hours to fulfill an inspection request, if that cannot be fulfilled you may move on to the next step of the process.

  • Commercial review can take up to 30 business days and are sent out to a 3rd party for review.
  • The average review time for residential projects can take up to 7-10 business days.
  • 2 – Topos, stamped by a surveyor
  • 2 – Blueprints
  • Sewer permit or Septic permit (obtained through Portage County Water Resources 330-297-3670)
  • Permit applications – Building, Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC (they must be submitted together)
  • Model Energy Code
  • Zoning application
  • Water permit (obtained at Service Dept. – 330-626-2856)
  • Mud Bond (obtained through Engineering Dept. 330-626-4942)
  • Well Permit, if applicable (obtained through Portage County Health Dept. – 330-297-3502)
  • All contractors and subcontractors must be registered with the city before the house plans will be submitted for review.
  • If the structure is over 220 sq. ft. a building permit is required along with the zoning permit
  • If the structure is under 220 sq. ft. a building permit is not required, however you will still need to obtain a zoning permit
Close window